Thursday 5 September 2013

There (just about).

And so the Canadian borders have finally been breached.  It only took over an overweight bag (thus its contents strewn across the airport floor as ruthlessness was the only way to get me on that plane without paying an extortionate amount of money), a delayed flight and consequently missed connection, subsequently two (also delayed) transfers meaning a nice twenty-four hour trip.  Excellent start Year Abroad.  

Arriving at midnight here, feeling like a zombie and then not being able to get into my bed (a bed without bedding at that) for a further two hours was a brilliant topping to a fantastic journey.  Despite still only sleeping in borrowed bedding, however, life is starting to settle down. My 99p British flag is pinned up so that says it all. And my pillow did arrive today.  In a big purple box for 88 nappies. Drew just a few stares across campus. And there I was just trying to blend in...

However, in regard to the accent concerns I vocalised previously... so far, so good.  Though it does quite the opposite of helping me blend in.  The stereotype is true, we are loved for our ‘cute’, ‘amazing’, ‘awesome’ accent, I just thought Canadians were that bit more cool and blasé about it than Americans.  One only needs to say a few words and immediately “Oh my god, is that an accent I detect?!”  I have been said to sound Scottish once but I’m going to say that’s just an anomaly... Really it’s no bad thing and can be utilised to one’s advantage (3 British girls trying to sort out phones in a shop drew a crowd of about 10 workers there to coo at our ‘fantastic’ accents, while helping us of course..).  I’ve even been told it’s the ‘best accent in the world’ by the bank man.  Well, it’s more like the people who have it that are the best but anyway, i'm sure that's obvious. 

Onto far more important information, the university itself seems rather good, not as pretty and green as Exeter (delightful 1970s buildings everywhere) but I shan’t complain (that will start when I’ve been surrounded by snow for 5 months and have frostbite or something).  The last few days have been an absolute mental blur (someone out there definitely did not want to me to get a phone out here and how on earth does the epic place of Walmart sell out of bedding and coat hangers??).  Thus, today is the first that I have properly been able to get to grips with the place; starting with the mission to discover where my first class was held... (minimum stress involved with that which was thoroughly appreciated).

As to the Freshers, sorry ‘Frosh’, of Carleton.  Well, it’s different to say the least.  My first day of extreme jet lag and a melted brain from general life had me spending about five hours surrounded by people (many only 17 years old, making me feel ancient) in orange, chanting, shouting and screaming as creatures from the Enchanted Forest (I was a Cyclops, and I’m ashamed to admit, not exactly the most committed one of the crew).  Apparently it’s all about ‘school spirit’ out here or so it seems... (just to say that is a slight understatement if you couldn't tell).  Upon my return, the life enthusiasm, chant knowledge and all round school-keenness of mine will be off the English charts.  Promise.  One amusing and totally un-English aspect of the ‘chant-off’ between, for example, the Cyclops and the Gingerbread Men, was the end chant of ‘We are all best friends, we are all best friends’.
How adorable.  

In comparison to the haze of fancy dress and messy nights of Freshers, it’s not all crazy nights out here (all the Frosh events being dry) and I’ve been told not to expect much from Ottawa nightlife.  However, I’m from Exeter, it’s a familiar situation and I’m sure we’ll work it somehow.

Overall, you know you’ve made it to a North American university when you’re drinking out of the classic red plastic cups.  Furthermore, the lingo is being learnt, its ‘Res’ not ‘Halls’ and ‘courses’ not ‘modules’ gees get with it.., I’ve already had a cheeky marriage proposal, the campus is being navigated and I’m going to my first ice-hockey game tonight.  Canada fully has me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment