Saturday 2 November 2013

Practically Canadian

Four days in the Canadian wild, in sub-zero temperatures, with warnings of attracting bears if one wore deodorant.  Most definitely one of my highlights, if not at the top of the list. 

The scenery was just classic Canada.  Lakes, trees, campfires and even snow.  Stunning.  I had expected a hardcore couple of days, up early, paddling until dusk.  However, we were pleasantly surprised by a lie past 10am the first day and the whole trip turned out to be far more chilled which was appreciated! (It was only students doing it so that makes sense really).



The main negative aspect of the trip was the fact I felt like I had lost my toes for four days.  And waking up with ice in the tent and frozen water bottles made a change from the overheated bedrooms and corridors back at university.  My woolly hat never left my head and there were at least 4 layers constantly worn (increasing to about 7 one of the nights).  Furthermore, I have never experienced such exceptional spooning.  Five girls in a tent, the middle person crushed by those either side squishing in to escape the icy walls, every so often a group shift and turn to numb the alternative leg.  Cosy.

In regards to the canoeing, on the first day we were against the current with strong winds and waves blowing against us, resulting in slight concerns about coping with the next 3 days.  However, someone decided they liked us so we then got sunshine, blue skies and calm waters, i.e. we were just loving life. So we paddled most of the day, had a portage or two (i.e. carrying the canoes and bags practically the size of us. Great fun...), then set up camp at a picturesque site, taking about 6 attempts to build the tent, collecting wood (or whole trees in the case of some people), then feasting on a delight of food.  We did become slightly animalistic in regards to the eating but hey, what can you do.  (And having expected boring, plain camping food, getting American pancakes, bacon and eggs, bagels, brownies and cookie dough who can blame us?  There was the point we were literally scooping sugar out of the jar and eating it which was just plain classy.) 


So absolutely gorgeous campsites, generally on little islands, with a fire pit and views all around.  There were about 25 of us on the trip all from Carleton, divided into three groups with whom we cooked and slept.  Star gazing, games of mafia, fireball and marshmallow roasting was the evening entertainment.  On the last night we were serenaded the Canadian national anthem.  Pretty epic.  We also had an award ceremony.  I ended up with the prize for ‘Queen of Sass’.  Shocking that.  Only took four days to realise that of me... (not sure how to feel about the fact I’ve been called ‘sassy’ within minutes of meeting people here.  I thought it was just being sarcastic but perhaps this is the Canadian take on it? Who knows.)

Anyways, I’ve never felt so Canadian in my life.  I’ve also never said ‘eh’ so much at the end of every sentence before.  My room still smells of campfire smoke.  My poor wind-burnt nose is still recovering.  However, the feet have defrosted so that’s just lovely.  (Though not seeing a bear or beaver was slightly heartbreaking.  In the four days I saw a bird (a ‘loon’) and an otter or some of creature like that.  Not exactly overwhelming but we were probably enough wildlife to deal with).


And Halloween has also been experienced here.  People literally said ‘Happy Halloween’ to each other at the cafe, with some dedicated customers having dressed up for the day.  A host of costumes were witnessed (some slightly more disturbing than others...) and a ton of glitter was used (terrifying stuff I know).  

So I think this marks my halfway point in my first term out.  Just mental.  Not too sure what more trips and excursions are going to occur, but all I know is that my ski jacket is not going to be warm enough for what is to come.  Goodie.

  

1 comment:

  1. I can literally hear your voice through these posts- what a joy to read!

    ReplyDelete