Saturday 15 February 2014

Carnivals, Canals and Cuba (Nearly)

So I feel that before I leave this frozen land of Canada for the sunshine and beaches of Cuba, one must be informed of my various activities of the past few weeks (which have gone outrageously quickly and have brought me to a place where I am three quarters of the way through my year abroad. Ridiculous).

My final weekend trip away was my furthest afield yet.  A solid eight hours of travelling for two days.  In England, that would be a crazy concept.  I rarely make the five hour journey home during term time because it seems so epic.  But anyhow, when on a year abroad, one must commit to exploration of the nation one is visiting.  As such, it would be rude not see one of the main cities of Eastern Canada. And with that, the most beautiful by far.  We were transported to a European city with its Old Town walls, its little town squares, its gothic-style buildings and its grand parliamentary buildings.  A treat for the eyes indeed. Québec City.


We timed our visit with the start of their world-renowned Winter Carnival.  Think ice castles, DJ concerts at night, ice sculptures everywhere, and hundreds of people trudging through the snow, ice and slush to get in line for the ice slides or for a stick of maple taffy.  They say maple taffy is something one simply must try when out here (and it is true indeed).  Think a patch of (clean) snow, a wooden lolly stick and runny maple syrup.  
Stick. Roll. Lick. Beautiful. And then your teeth feel like they will fall out due to the amount of pure sugar, but it is worth it.  The carnival also meant that it felt like Christmas all over again as decorations were all up still - trees, tinsel, snowflakes and everything. (Though the slightly terrifying Carnival Snowman took the place of Father Christmas)

Maple Taffy Production Line
Carnival Snowman
So the days were spent exploring the streets and alleyways, having impromptu snowball fights, gazing at the views across the frozen river, wandering along the city wall, cooing at little children so wrapped up they looked like walking candy floss.  If we thought Montreal was French, Québec City is on a whole new level.  But, one must embrace. And that we did.  There was also a photo (or ten) taken of the most photographed hotel in the world. The Chateau Frontenac.  Well, surely it would be rude not to?

The Chateau Frontenac
The ‘champagne moment’ of the trip would be the trip to the Hotel de Glace.  It is the ‘first and only true ice hotel in North America’ (thank you Wikipedia).  And it was amazing.  Rather cool and fresh as one would expect.  Lots of ice.  Sculptures (some incredible ones at that).  It was also a bucket list item ticked off when we had an ‘ice-cocktail’.  Some kind of exciting cocktail shot in a glass made entirely of ice. *Gloves were found to be essential items when trying to drink it, so take note.*

Overall, a stunning city and an excellent weekend excursion.


Various 21st celebrations peppered the next few weeks with meals out in DT (downtown) Ottawa.  Despite feeling that I may not have made the most of what Ottawa has to offer, in a fortnight I’ve been to three restaurants and a number of new bars and clubs so there is hope yet. 

Finally.  What I mentioned in a post when grass still existed in my life, where snow seemed worlds away and  my feet never felt cold: skating the canal from Carleton to Downtown.  This was achieved yesterday.  I had a trial run last week, seeming to have forgotten everything I ever learned and shocking people with noises that apparently sound like a Canadian goose (at least I fit in then).  However, 7.8km of ice were later dominated with no crashes or falls. Basically a professional now.  The moment of relief my ankles and calves felt when the spires of Parliament came into sight was immense.  It’s a situation similar to that of skiing when little children are speeding about past me... I also don’t think I overtook a single person, but in my eyes, that’s not the point.  Practically being born with skates on is a slight advantage that every single Canadian on earth (well in Canada) seems to have over me I’d say. 

However, moving on from this cold talk...within a matter of hours, the sight of white shall be replaced with that of bright, sparkling blue and green.  
Snow for sea.  
Slush for sand.  
Canada for Cuba. 
Come at me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment